2018-2019 Season Auditions
June 2 and 4, 2018
Who can audition?
MOTCC auditions are open to singers between the ages of 8 and 16 with:
- An unchanged voice that has a clear tone that blends well with others
- A capacity to sing in tune and demonstrate a good sense of rhythm
- An ability to read, interpret, and speak clearly
- The demonstrated ability to follow directions
- A love of singing and a desire to make a commitment to be a member in this unique choral ensemble
- Preparatory chorus is for singers between the ages of 8-11 who meet the above criteria but are not yet vocally or musically prepared for membership in the main chorus.
- At the end of the season, all chorister will be required to re-audition for the next year
What are the age requirements?
PRINCIPAL CHORUS: For the 2018-2019 season, a chorister must be 10 years of age by August 31, 2018 and no older than 16 years of age on May 31, 2019.
PREPARATORY CHORUS: For the 2018-2019 season, a chorister must be 8 years of age by August 31, 2018 and no older than 11 years of age on May 31, 2019.
What should I bring to the audition?
- An enthusiasm for singing and a positive attitude
- A prepared and memorized song that is age appropriate and selected from folk songs or classical repertoire. The following genres are not appropriate: pop, gospel, rock, blues, opera arias. Some possible songs are: God Bless America, Somewhere Over the Rainbow, My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean, or a folk song. The selection must be memorized and a copy of the music must be provided for the accompanist
- A prepared and memorized poem of your choice
- A simple 1 page resume listing music/theatre background
- A basic photo
What will happen during the audition?
- We will ask you to tell us about yourself.
- We will do a warm up so we can see how high and how low you can sing.
- We will listen to you sing the song that you prepared.
- We will play a few notes and have you sing them back. We may clap a few rhythm patterns and have you clap those back.
- We will listen to you recite the poem that you prepared so that we can hear your speaking voice and see your acting ability. We may also ask you to read a poem or paragraph that we give you.
- We will have you do a little music reading. Don't worry if you don't know how to read music yet. This is something that we develop in rehearsal.
- We will ask you to fill out a music theory questionnaire.
When and where does MOTCC rehearse?
MOTCC rehearses at the Detroit Opera House at 1526 Broadway, across the street from Comerica Park. Regular rehearsals are Monday evenings at 5:30 from September through April. The Principal Chorus will have some Saturday afternoon rehearsals. Additional rehearsals will be scheduled prior to productions and performances.
A full season schedule will be provided if a singer is offered a position with MOTCC. It is expected the potential choristers and their parents review and commit to the rehearsal and performance schedule prior to accepting a position.
What is the cost?
The 2017-2018 tuition for the Principal Chorus was $650.00 per child per season and included blazer rental, theory workbook, MOTCC folder, choral music, and MOTCC opera score. The 2017-2018 tuition for the Preparatory Chorus was $550.00 per child per season and includes theory workbook, and use of MOTCC folder, and choral music.
Tuition for 2018-2019 has not been determined yet. In addition to tuition, choristers must purchase their uniforms and family members are encouraged to purchase tickets to attend performances.
Are scholarships available?
Full and partial tuition scholarships are available based on financial need. Scholarship forms will be made available at auditions.
Are there any additional requirements for returning choristers?
Yes, returning chorister are required pass the theory test for the theory level they participated in during the previous season.
In addition, students will be asked to perform a short sight singing exercise from the theory book of their previous season. They should perform accurate pitch and rhythm, sing using solfege syllables, sing with clear and open tone and accurate intonation.
Who do I contact for more information?
For more information, contact Twannette Nash at TNash@motopera.org.